Monday, August 11, 2014

Registration = Meeting Friends

Last week was all about registration.  I wasn't able to get into the library and do a lot, but my time spent registering our kiddos was invaluable.  I was able to meet many of our students and introduce myself as their new librarian and I also was able to meet quite a few new staff and faculty at IMMS.

I asked some of the students I met if they liked to read.  Quite a few said they did and promised to come to the library, but also some honestly stated that they really didn't like reading or that they didn't read.  One parent said of their child, who was standing by listening, "She doesn't read.  She just likes magazines and comics."

I replied, "That is reading! It's a great start. Come to the library and we'll find something that interest you."

The student shyly smiled and promised to come to the library.

I hope she does.  If a student doesn't like to read, they just haven't found the right book yet.  And it doesn't have to be a full-fledged 400 page novel.  If they want graphic novels or magazines, start there. We have digital and audio books too - something for everyone.  The library is for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment